How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

So what do I do My family is in another state

Customer Question

So what do I do? My family is in another state and I have no place to go here in texas. Can I get an order of protection against her if I'm in another state? I don't mind paying you for your time but I need help figuring out how to protect myself and the boy.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  • Please provide some more details as to your situation. The more information you provide, the better response I can provide for you.


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm 22 and my wife is 20. We've been married almost two years and we have a son that will be 1 next week. I don't know exactly what you need to know.

She's nuts and I'm afraid of her. two weeks ago I woke up to see her standing over me a knife. now I can't even eat anything that I didn't open or prepare myself. The stress is almost unbearable. I want to put some distance between us (my family is out of state) but I just can't leave my son with her.

If I understood your first answer, if I stay she might do something to me or the baby. If I leave I could be ordered to bring the baby back to her. I don't want to rip our child away from her I just want him (and me) to be safe. I want her to get help but she won't listen...and she's nuts!

Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

You can certainly leave the marital home and stay in the immediate area. Or you could file for divorce and immediately request exclusive use and possession of the home. Such a request would be based on a reasonable fear for your safety. If the court found your testimony compelling, your wife would quite likely be ordered out of the home.


Additionally, considering her problems, the same argument would most likely assist you in obtaining custody of the child.


So you know, if you have follow-up questions, you don't necessarily need to start a new question thread. Rather, you can follow-up on this string. If I provide multiple answers that you find satisfactory, you may click on "accept" again or provide a bonus. That is certainly acceptable to me and quite likely easier for you.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.