Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I found my husband in bed with another woman and Im filing

Customer Question
I found my husband in...
I found my husband in bed with another woman and I'm filing for a divorce. We have a 6 year old daughter. I live in South Carolina and want to move out of state to be with my family and friends. Where I live now I have nothing and no one to help me. What do I have to do for me and my daughter to move next to my family? Can it be done?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
8/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Wow. I am sorry to hear of your very difficult situation.

Have you actually filed for divorce or legal separation yet?

If so, have you obtained a temporary order of custody?

Are you the primary care giver of your daughter? How long have you been married?

Yes I have filed for a divorce.

Yes I have temporary custody.

Yes I'm the primary care giver.

I was married for 5 years.

Then I have two more questions, please:

Does the father currently have custody or visitation rights? Does the order indicate that you must seek permission to move out of the state with the child?

Edited by Tina on 8/1/2010 at 1:04 AM EST

He has visitation rights.

The order doesn't indicate I need to have permission to move.

I see. Since there is a court order, you do need to seek the permission of the court or your husband's written consent to move out of the state then.

It sure does not seem like a fair result to me, but since he has visitation and there is a court order of custody, the law require that you obtain your husband's consent regarding your child since the court's order temporarily maintains the status quo.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription with JA, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only. It does not and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer