How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I found my husband in bed with another woman and Im filing

Resolved Question:

I found my husband in bed with another woman and I'm filing for a divorce. We have a 6 year old daughter. I live in South Carolina and want to move out of state to be with my family and friends. Where I live now I have nothing and no one to help me. What do I have to do for me and my daughter to move next to my family? Can it be done?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Wow. I am sorry to hear of your very difficult situation.

Have you actually filed for divorce or legal separation yet?

If so, have you obtained a temporary order of custody?

Are you the primary care giver of your daughter? How long have you been married?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I have filed for a divorce.

Yes I have temporary custody.

Yes I'm the primary care giver.

I was married for 5 years.

Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Then I have two more questions, please:

Does the father currently have custody or visitation rights? Does the order indicate that you must seek permission to move out of the state with the child?

Edited by Tina on 8/1/2010 at 1:04 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He has visitation rights.

The order doesn't indicate I need to have permission to move.

Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
I see. Since there is a court order, you do need to seek the permission of the court or your husband's written consent to move out of the state then.

It sure does not seem like a fair result to me, but since he has visitation and there is a court order of custody, the law require that you obtain your husband's consent regarding your child since the court's order temporarily maintains the status quo.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX



Even if you have a subscription with JA, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only. It does not and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions