How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31768
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

planning to move with girl friend in amherst ny to new house,

Resolved Question:

planning to move with girl friend in amherst ny to new house, is she entitle to anything ie equity, savings, retirement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If you're not married, she's not entitled to any of your property. However, any joint property is obviously divisible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry forgot to add if time of relationship ie several years matter? Is there also a common law in new york state? thanks

Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

No, that doesn't matter. New York doesn't allow common law marriage.

Roger and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you