How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31729
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband recently informed me that he has retired from

Resolved Question:

My ex husband recently informed me that he has "retired" from his military job, and is no longer obligated to pay child support or provide health insurance for our 9 year old son, although he has been court ordered to do so. His wages had to be garnished up to this point. My question is, if he receives retirement, can that be garnished? Also, is he still obligated to carry health ins.? Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Military retirement can be used to pay child support and your child is entitled to it.


If there is a court order requiring him to provide health insurance for the child/children, he has to do so.

Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it necessary for me to hire a lawyer to continue garnishing him, or does it automatically switch over? I don't have the financial means to hire a lawyer at this time, so if there is a way for me to insure this happens without going to court again, that would be wonderful. I'm just not sure where to begin. Again, thank you so much, I deeply appreciate you help. Sincerely, Brandi
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
I think you should hire an attorney to make sure you get this done correctly. Also, an attorney will get this done faster and in front of the court quicker than if you do this alone.