Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can my husband divorce me if I am pregnant? We've tried to…

Customer Question
Can my husband divorce me...
Can my husband divorce me if I am pregnant? We've tried to have a baby for 2 years now and I just found out I was pregnant, but he also told me this morning that he was filing for divorce. I will be left with no insurance, no home, no vehicle and pregnant by myself. Does the GA law allow a husband to divorce a pregnant wife?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/2/2010
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law
My name is ***** ***** I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.
Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.
I am sorry to say that yes, he can file for divorce even if you are pregnant. However, that does not mean that he won't be responsible for child support and pre-natal healthcare support. I can expand on that if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.
I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.
There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.
Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.
There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.
If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!
You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

I have read a GA Law 19-10-2 that states

(b) Any husband who willfully and voluntarily abandons his wife, while she is pregnant, with his child, leaving her in a dependent condition, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

What does this mean if he can divorce me? He has not filed yet and plans to in 2 weeks. He also plans on moving out in two weeks.

Please note that I did not get pregnant "to hang on to him". We have been trying for a baby for 2 years through many fertility treatments so the pregnancy is not a surprise to him.

With him leaving I am not in a position to pay for an attorney. Is he responsible for any alimony while I am pregnant?

Actually, it's § 19-10-1. And yes it's true, but that won't stop him from doing this. He CAN be charged with the criminal code if you file a police report on him.

Alimony, also known as spousal support, is subjective. It is based on a case by case basis, and is meant to ensure that the weakest party would not suffer a financial meltdown after the divorce. I am afraid I cannot give you a concrete number since every case is different and is based not only on the financial numbers, but also on many other variables. Both the length and amount is calculated primarily based on THESE elements:

? The standard of living to which the parties have become accustomed during the marriage
? The income and financial status of each party
? The future earning capacity of each party
? The separate assets of each party
? The non-economic contributions to the marriage by either spouse, such as child care, homemaking, career building
? The conduct of the parties toward each other during the marriage
The court may consider additional factors in determining how long to continue the alimony payments. Such factors may be:
? The time that the receiving spouse may need to improve earning capacity through training or education
? The duration of the marriage
? The allocation of retirement In addition to determining the amount of alimony, the court may benefits
He will also be responsible for the bulk of prenatal health and child support.