How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to volentarily terminate my parental rights

This answer was rated:

Is there a way to volentarily terminate my parental rights?
For what purpose would parental rights be terminated?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the child in this matter has lived with her grandma for 10 years and although a custody and visitaion has been set in place granting the grandmother custody and my self visitaion of up to 9 weeks in the summer, as agreed upon, the grandmother has NOT complied with visitaion order and the child who is 12 years of age( 13 in october) has stated very clearly that she NO longer wishes to have any contact with myself.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

Courts only terminate parental rights/responsibilities when doing so is in the best interests of the child. Typically, that only applies to adoptions, regardless of the visitation situation. Even if a parent is not getting to visit a child, courts usually find that keeping someone on the hook to support the child is in the best interests of the child.

That said, if a visitation order is in place and the custodial party isn't complying with the order, a noncustodial may file a motion for contempt. The court can then sanction the custodial party for failure to comply with the court order. Further, a custodial party's interference with the relationship of a noncustodial parent can factor into a court's decision if the noncustodial petitions to modify custody and visitation.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you