Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am divorced for 5 years now. The existing divorce gives

Customer Question

I am divorced for 5 years now. The existing divorce gives my ex-wife primary custody, but we both have joint legal custody. My 10 year old daughter has now lived with me for a year, and I want to put the motion to change primary custody and child support to that end. My 18 year old just graduated and I need to have child support removed for him. That leaves one 17 year old still living with my ex-wife.

she has agreed to letting my 10 year old live with me, but will not agree to terms on child support. This is in Georgia and the calculations are pretty cut and dry.

Can anyone tell me the forms I need to fill out for this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This is not as much a form, as a motion. A motion has to be drafted, or you can go to legalzoom.com or uslegalforms.com and purchase it. You file a MOTION TO MODIFY CUSTODY with the same court under the old cause number unless all of you have moved out of the state by now in which the order was made, in which case you file a PETITION FOR CUSTODY in the state where the child lives. The Court decides on custody based on the rule of thumb of "best interest of the child." This includes, but is not limited to, general stability of the parent, financial stability, indoctrination of the child in the current school and environment, household condition and living condition of the child, other persons living in the house, etc.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What about my 18 year old that I need removed from child support?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Apologies, let me add that - sometimes, the support ends automatically at the age of the child. But not all the time. If it's not automatically concluded, you bring a quick MOTION FOR TERMINATION OF CHILD SUPPORT and set it for a hearing. After a quick hearing, the Judge will terminate the support. Motion can be found on same sites, or better yet, drafted by a licensed attorney.