How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34741
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arkansas and I have been divorced from ex since May,

This answer was rated:

I live in Arkansas and I have been divorced from ex since May, 2010. We have children together in which I have full custody of. I left him because there was domestic violence against me and my daughter. I now have a boyfriend who cohabits with me and helps with the bills and even provides funds for the children's needs. I recieved a letter from my ex's lawyer that he is taking me to court to have a non-cohabitation clause placed in the divorce decree. What is the possibility that the courts will rule in his favor?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Its certainly possible. The court can take this action if they find that its "not in the best interest of the child".

The court has the power to modify the custody order at any time.

SO, what can you do? If he has a lawyer, you need a lawyer. One with experience in custody battles. If you can show that it is in the best interest of the child for you to continue to live with this man, the court will rule in your favor. If not, not.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I marry my boyfriend then will we be safe?

YES! SO long as there is no danger to the kids from him (like if he was a convicted felon), if you marry this moots the issue.

P. Simmons and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you