How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cedric Your Own Question
Cedric, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2899
Experience:  Representation of Clients in Family Courts for Criminal and Civil Matters for several years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Cedric is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

the state of utah office of recovery services is coming after

Customer Question

the state of utah office of recovery services is coming after me for child support on a child that is supposedly mine. the mother says that he is mine and we had a private lab do a paternity test that says he is mine. I filed for custody originaly but after she dissapeared and lack of money the case went into stand still. Now she is seeking child suport and the courts or state dont have proof of paternity what should I do. At the time of conception this woman was married to another man. Do I have to do a paternity? and because I opened the original custody case does that opbligate me to pay child support ? what are the laws for them mandating me to take test is there a place where I can go to read the laws? as I dont have the money to hire an attorney for this case.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
The original custody case means that you cannot contest paternity at this time, and you can unfortunately still be forced to pay child support.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can I drop the original case? what are my options?