How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister is 18 years old. She is currently living in California.

Customer Question

My sister is 18 years old. She is currently living in California. She will be coming down to live with me (older sister) so she can repeat her 12th grade in High School. The issue that I am running into is that in the state of California she is of legal age and they will not do any guardianship paperwork. But here in Alabama she has to have a legal guardian in order for her to go to school. Our mother is in California and her father is in Georgia. Can the guardianship paperwork be done here in Alabama if my mom were to come here and do it? Or what paperwork can be done without my mom coming down here to Alabama?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 years ago.
Well you rmother could come down and enroll her here using your address.That might be enough to get her into shcool and avoid guardianship here.Thats a real option here to try and avoid a one year guardianship.And honestly it protects you in case little sister gets into trouble