How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Mississippi, but my grandson lives in Michigan. I

Resolved Question:

I live in Mississippi, but my grandson lives in Michigan. I' ve had no contact with him in months. His Mother has blocked all my numbers and when I have gone to Michigan I wasn't allowed to see him. What can I do to get my grandson and my rights to have a relationship? Also, this woman has said ONLY the state of Michigan can MAKE her do anything.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Can you tell me whether your son has visitation rights
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes. His time is every other Sunday 1pm to 6pm.But, my son lives in Mississippi due to her moving to Virginia. The only thing is she returned to Michigan a week before he moved to Mississippi.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Since your son is unable to avail himself of his visitation rights, you may file for independent visitation rights. Grandparents may obtain visitation rights if the child's parents are separated or divorced or if one parent is deceased, has relinquished his parental rights or had parental rights terminated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Must I hire an attorney or can I go thur Friends of The Court in Oakland County.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
You can try Friends of The Court however they typically have a very heavy caseload and must pick and choose the cases that they handle. If they are not willing to handle the case, I would suggest that you retain local counsel rather than trying to handle it yourself
Ellen and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions