How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I decided to live apart because of differences.

This answer was rated:

My wife and I decided to live apart because of differences. This was in 2001. She didn't want to sign divorce papers for her own reasons. Our 3 children are living with her and I've been giving her child support since then. We have a written agreement saying we don't want this and that and each others bills are our own. It's not signed by a judge but notarized.

1. Isn't there some law if you live apart for a period of time it's considered being divorced?

2. Is there a way to get divorced without her signature?

3. Is there a cheaper way of doing this without a lawyer?

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

1. Unfortunately, contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as a common law divorce. Living apart, by itself, will not result in divorce.

2. Yes. It's possible to get divorced without another person's consent. However, that constitutes a contested divorce and can be time consuming and expensive. That said, one spouse cannot keep another spouse married if the other spouse doesn't wish to be and a court can enter a divorce decree even when one spouse doesn't wish to get divorced. It's better and cheaper when both parties can settle and agree to matters in good faith.

3. Yes. Anyone can represent himself in any legal proceeding. However, cheaper isn't always better. There's a lot at stake in a divorce and having legal representation is prudent. However, the California self-help center is located at the following link for people who represent themselves.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions