How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if you un custody and under arrest and the police beat you

Resolved Question:

if you un custody and under arrest and the police beat you up while your still in custody and they have to take you to the hospital because of the injuries you recived the the police who should have to pay the hospital bill
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

An individual who has been detained and restrained should not be beaten by law enforcement. Such an individual may have a basis to file a lawsuit against the agency that detained him and attacked him, as law enforcement is required to protect captives (not abuse them). Such situations are often referred to as "police brutality."

A victim of police brutality needs an attorney. The attorney can evaluate the damages and help the individual negotiate or sue to collect them as necessary. A victim of police brutality can recover the value of the medical services he required, as well as other damages (which may well exceed the value of the medical services). Accordingly, the sum in controversy could be far beyond the value of the medical bills.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you