AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Can a 16 year old emancipate himself and declare who he wants

Can a 16 year old emancipate himself and declare who he wants to live with. He goes to school and has a job which is full time now but will revert back to part time when school starts?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 7 years ago.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

A 16 year old may be emancipated if he can show that he is mature and that he can support himself. A child will not typically be completely emancipated if he cannot show that he can support himself (though a court may partially emancipate a child and require the parents to provide support). Therefore, if a child is to later to be dependent on his parents for support, a court may be unwilling to fully emancipate a child. However, it's worth noting that parental objections to emancipation can be a strong barrier against emancipation.

That said, if the child wishes to live with another parent, that may be accomplished by seeking to modify the custody order. Courts often give a lot of weight to a mature child's well-reasoned preference when it comes to his residence.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information is provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).