How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had physical custody of my 3 year old niece for the

Resolved Question:

I have had physical custody of my 3 year old niece for the past 3 weeks because her mom was intoxicated (.42 breathalizer) and was taken to the hospital when she threatened suicide. My sister promised to enter in-house rehab center, but never did. Now my sister wants the 3 year old back. She lives in Kentucky, I live in Michigan.
My sister also has 3 older children whom she lost custody of when they were young.
What rights do I have to keep my 3 year old niece from her alcoholic mother?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

In order to legally keep the child, you have to have a court order granting you guardianship or custody. The court can grant a temporary order for custody until your sister gets the treatment she needs, etc.


You should see if your sister will sign over temporary custody/guardianship, and if not, you'd have to file a court petition.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions