lwpat
lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
15417118

My wife and I moved to Ohio from Maryland before we were married.

Customer Question

My wife and I moved to Ohio from Maryland before we were married. We bought a house about 3 years ago but put it in her name because she had the money to put down. We got married approx. 18 months ago and she now wants a divorce. I have been paying the mortgage the entire time. I also put a lot of money in to fixing it up as well of lots of sweat equity. The house is now appraised 30K above what we paid for it. Am I entitled to any compensation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Your argument that the house has been transmuted into marital property and that you are entitled to half of the equity in the house. The payments on the mortgage have been made with mariatl funds and you will need to show what improvements that you have made. She would be entitled to get her downpayment back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is insisting that I leave with nothing. I don't want to force the sale of the house, but would like to get reimbursed for some of what I've put in to it. Can I legally expect some compensation or can she just force me to leave?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
she can't force you to leave but she can ask a judge to order you to vacate. Based on your post you are legally entitled to your half of the increase in value of the house.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How about any of the mortgage payments?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.

an accept for my time is always appreciated
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't feel like I know anything more then when I started.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Your original question was

Am I entitled to any compensation?

I answered that you were. What else can I assist you with.