How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Amber E. Your Own Question
Amber E.
Amber E., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1482
Experience:  Experienced practitioner in family law, including divorce, custody, and domestic violence cases.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Amber E. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother desperately needs to go to rehab after being cheated

Customer Question

My brother desperately needs to go to rehab after being cheated on, lied about, manipulated and destroyed financially and emotionally by his evil ex wife. He is now a raging alchoholic. He has put off rehab due to needing to pay child support. He dropped his car insurance to the bare minimum to have enough money to pay the child support and now his truck is totalled. Now he can't work because he was a roofer (who by the way was drinking so much that he was passing out on the lawns of the houses he was roofing. We are finally getting him into rehab but he says he can't stay for a year (like all the drs recommend) because he will be arrested for not paying his child support. Does he have to pay while he is sick, in a rehab, and not working? Please help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Amber E. replied 7 years ago.
If he is unemployed and his doctor recommends in-patient care for an extended period of time, then he could file a motion to reduce or suspend the child support obligation, which would then allow for him to not pay for as long as necessary. The request is often granted in cases where people lose their jobs, become disabled, or are hospitalized or institutionalized. However, he can't get the reprieve if he doesn't ask for it; until a court says otherwise, he will be held responsible. So, if he wants the reduction, he will need to file as soon as possible and be sure to attach to his motion documentation of his condition and prescribed treatment.

Related Family Law Questions