How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in North Carolina, I have 2 children and pay $1100 a month

Customer Question

I am in North Carolina, I have 2 children and pay $1100 a month in child support. I currently make $2500 taxable income. On the NC child support guidelines website it states that the amount is $716 a month, how can I hold the payments until I get a lawyer to help me? and is it possible to lower to that amount?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You can certainly lower that amount by filing a petition to modify the child support based on a material change in circumstances provided you are using the state guidelines in the original order. Here is the self help website with the forms and instructions on filing for a modification.