Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My Fiance lives in Nicaragua and I am a United States Citizen…

Customer Question
My Fiance lives in Nicaragua...
My Fiance lives in Nicaragua and I am a United States Citizen that want to Marry Her in Her Country. How do I obtain a marriage license and will my US Visa be sufficient to visit her periodically once we are married?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/30/2010
Family Lawyer: Brandon M., Family Law Attorney replied 8 years ago
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Did you mean to ask if your US passport will be sufficient to visit her, or perhaps a Nicaragua Visa? If you are a US citizen, you would not have a US visa.
Ok, so My understanding if correct is that my US Passport will be sufficient enough to cross the Nicaragua border? Once I get to her country what documents / marriage license do I need to marry her there in her country ?
Hello again:

Marriages in Nicaragua must be performed by either a Nicaraguan notary or judge.

An officer of the U.S. Consulate may authenticate foreign marriage documents, but this is not required for the marriage to be considered valid outside of Nicaragua. The fee for the authentication of a document is $30.00.

The foreigner must present a valid passport (other forms of identification are sometimes acceptable) and sometimes a birth certificate. Furthermore, previously married persons must present evidence that their marriage is either dissolved (e.g. divorce decree) or that their former married partner is deceased (e.g. death certificate) and/or proof that they are single. Since the U.S. government does certify "singleness", some U.S. citizens contract with Nicaraguan attorneys to draft a “singleness” document for their signature.

With the documentation listed above and two witnesses with Nicaraguan cedulas (a legal identity document), a Nicaraguan notary or judge can marry you, provided that the groom is over the age of 21 (or legally emancipated) and the bride is over the age of 18 (or legally emancipated).

Generally speaking, U.S. tourists can enter Nicaragua without a visa for up to 90 days.

I hope that this helps.