Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have a Step son of 15yrs of age, which at this time lives…

Customer Question
I have a Step son...
I have a Step son of 15yrs of age, which at this time lives with his Dad, his Mother and I or Divorced. I live in La, He lives in Tx. He is wanting to live with me?? I do help with his School clothes and this fall am getting him a truck,when he gets his lic, his Dad has a good job ,but drinks alot and the son is unhappy there,with the drinking a mood changes . Please any one within the Baytown Tx Area can help with this and le me know where he and I stand.School is getting close and do need make a move soon..

Thanks peter Koss

([email protected])
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/29/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Unfortunately, you do not have any standing to seek custody, this would have to be an arrangement made with the agreement of the two biological parents if they have joint custody or with the physical custodial parent if they have sole custody. If the biological parents do not agree to grant you guardianship then there is nothing you can do. If the child runs away to live with you and you allow it then you could be charged with interfering with child custody and possibly even kidnapping or contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Thank you for your reply.. How would the standing. after explaining to my step son,,if he explains tos Dad ,,he wishes to live with me, would I be the one to keeps his Ins. claim him on my taxes,or would Dad of to be responsible for this????
Whether or not you would be liable for the expenses or the dad would be a matter of negotiation. Legally, the dad remains responsible for paying insurance and even child support and claiming him as a dependent on his taxes, but the dad can agree to change any of this as he sees fit and as you can agree.