Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I made a typo on my FL410 I submitted to court. Is there a…

Customer Question
I made a typo on...
I made a typo on my FL410 I submitted to court. Is there a form / process I can put into action or do I need to dismiss and refile?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/28/2010
Family Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

You need to file a motion to amend the pleadings and attach the proposed corrected pleadings. If the defendant has not yet answered, you could simply refile the petition and have it served on them without having to file a motion requesting permission from the court.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Even if you have a subscription, please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by JA and then request follow-up assistance from me if necessary. Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice based on rules of professional conduct. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Please do not shoot the messenger if it is not the answer you wished to hear. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

If the defendent has already answered (via an attorney) can I still file the motion? If so, which form would that be?

There is no form for the motion. You would need an experienced paralegal to assist you in drafting the motion to amend.

Good luck to you.

Since my case date is 19 July 2010 and I just received the defendents P&As, would it be in my best interest to refile? Does double jeopardy attach?

Double jeopardy does not attach in civil cases. You could file a motion to dismiss, but the court would have to grant that motion before you could refile and you would have to pay a new filing fee. It would be better to file a motion to amend in my opinion.

Take care.

Once the motion has been written and filed, when will I know if the court accepts my motion?

You will also file a notice of hearing after getting a date from the clerk of the court. The court will not rule on it unless there is a date set.