Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Okay we just went back to court may 20 he wanted to change…

Customer Question
Okay we just went back...
Okay we just went back to court may 20 he wanted to change his child andspousal support to zero the judge orderd the same as the decree which is 400 child and 200 spousal. well I am getting around 120 a month now this month I have only recieved 87.00 the time before when we went to court because he wasnt paying the judge then said dont let me ever catch you in my court again for not paying child support. Since we went in front of a different judge when I take him back to court for not paying what do you think will happen
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/25/2010
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Even if it is a different judge, he/she will have access to the previous court hearings and court orders. Thus, the judge - even if different - will know about the warning he received.

The judge can do anything from fining him to putting him in jail for contempt of court. If this is a habitual problem, the judge may put him in jail for 30 days to get his attention.

All you can do is report to the court when he doesn't do what is required of him and let the court deal with the punishment.

so I need to file contempt of court papers then? Do youthink the judge wil make him get caught up on child support/

Yes, you need to file a motion for contempt.

Yes, the judge will definitely make him pay any back child support amounts.

I just feel the same will happen his new wife makes 4000.00 a month or more. will they go after her income. I am very scared.
No, her income is not a factor because she has no legal responsibility for the child.
even though she supports him so he can go back to school full time?
Yes. The father's new spouse's income is not a factor in determining child support.