Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

To SocrateaserMore drama, everyday there is something

<p>To: XXXXX XXXXX drama, everyday...
<p>To: XXXXX XXXXX drama, everyday there is something new. Today I received a "Notice to Appear and Product CCP 1985 B-C," from my son's mother and her husband/attorney. The court date is the same date of the scheduled OSC Contempt demurrer and the Motion for Reconsideration re: the court's ruling in May, which the mother is requesting that I be responsible for her legal fees. It is requesting me to bring bank statements, vehicles owned or operated by me, registration, insurance, cash deposit over $100, purchased over $500, property tax paid, expenses and items purchased for my son, federal income tax return, and anything else you could think of for the last two years. The majority of the requests are based on my income & expense declaration I had to provide as the mother request me to pay her legal fees. Do I have any legal authority or grounds to not provide this information? I thought discovery had to be requested 30 days before trial, is that not true? How can I go around and use the law in my favor to not provide it. Further, I am unemployed and most of the expenses are covered by my fiance. She is not a party to this action and not responsible to provide her stuff to the court. I just do not know where to go with this.</p><p> </p><p>Also, the mother has a default civil judgment against me. i signed a promissary note agree to pay her credit card debt if she terminated the pregnancy. she said she did and provided me documents from the abortion clinic. month's later i was informed that she was still pregnant. the mother file a civil lawsuit against me for the promissary note i signed. i was informed that it is illegal to have a verbal agreement to terminate the pregancy. the mother received a default judgment and no attorney fees. january 10 the mother and her husband served me with an order to appear for examination. i got it removed off calendar as i am not a residence and nor am i employed by orange county. the lawyer basically lied and said that i live in California and my custody order stated that i must maintain a residence in CA. To be honest, I think he is trying to use the family law court to examine me financially and receive discovery against me in the civil judgment, because they may be running out of money and do not want to hire an attorney in tyler to examine me for the judgment. is there any authority or case law that state he cannot use the family law court system to receive discovery or examine me for a civil judgment?</p>
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
socrateaser, Lawyer

Are you sure that it says CCP 1985, rather than CCP 1987???

It matters.

yes it says, " Notice to Appear and Produce Cal. Civ. Pro. §§ 1985 (B) - (C))"

also, did you read the new info i edit?

Well, this may be your lucky day, because the citation is wrong. The correct code section is CCP 1987(b)-(c). So, you haven't been lawfully noticed to do anything at all.

hehehe....

I guess it is my lucky day. Laughing

So do I need to respond with a declaration stating that I havent been lawfully noticed to do anything at all or should I just wait to court and orally inform the judge? i know he is doing this based on my income and expense declaration and he wants me to pay his wife's legal fees.

further, per CCP 1987 b-c, it has to be served 20 days prior to trial. court is july 9th and it was signed and served on june 19th, a saturday. i thought that when you serve someone it also has to be filed with the court, but the court is closed on saturdays. further, the days does not consist of 20 court calendar days, as you have informed me prior. the day of service he provided includes weekends and not 20 court calendar days. am i speaking correctly, if not please advise.

The CCP 1987 notice is the equivalent of a subpoena, but issued to a party, rather than a third party witness. It doesn't need to be filed with the court.

Regardless, if it ws served by mail then it would have had to have been served 30 days in advance. If served by express mail then it would have had to have been served 22 days i advance. So, June 19 is late, unless it was personally served by a process server.

It was served by mail. The enveope states "US Postage $5.95 Priority 92863, Date of Sale 06/20/2010, which is a Sunday.

also, do I need to respond with a declaration stating that I havent been lawfully noticed to do anything at all or should I just wait to court and orally inform the judge? i know he is doing this based on my income and expense declaration and he wants me to pay his wife's legal fees.

You can ignore the notice. Bring the envelope to the hearing, in case the judge wants proof that service was late.

ok so don't respond to the notice, just ignore it but when the judge bring it up just state i haven't been legally noticed?

do you ever practice law in the courtroom? if you did, i would love to observe you. i respect you and i respect you opinion and i really appreciate all of the help.

Yes, ignore it -- except, of course, that you're supposed to show up -- which you are going to do anyway.

Re courtrooms, I do occasionally practice. If I'm ever in family court, I'll try to let you know.

socrateaser, Lawyer
when is it appropriate to request a notice to appear and produce? Does there have to be a future court date? Does the court date have to deal with finances such as a request for legal fees or when an income and expense declaration has been filed? Thanks

The notice is the typical way to require that a "party" to a civil action appear at a trial or hearing (and, if requested timely, bring documents to the trial). Yes, there must be a future hearing set. The requested documents must be exactly specified, not merely categorized.

An income and expense declaration must be filed and current within 45 days of the hearing. Nothing more is required.

Hi there. Hope all is well. I received a letter from the mother's lawyer titled, "In re: Notice to Appear and Produce."

It says:

"This matter shall serve as a meet and confer. You have failed to produce any documents in response to the Notice to Appear and Produced that was served on you on June 19, 2010. Produce all documents of your to be received in my office on or before August 13, 2010 or I will move to compel production, and for sanctions against you for your non-compliance.'

The letter is dated August 6th. I am still in California for court on the 19th. I had my brother forward me any mail from the idioit. I just received the letter today, so August 13, 2010 as already gone by.

Just to refresh your memory he served me late and he used this authority for his notice to appear and produce, "Cal. Civ. Pro. §§ 1985 (B) - (C))" You informed me that he used the wrong authority and the only thing I have to do is appear and I did on July 9, 2010. You also stated that his service was untimely. He raised this issue in court again on July 30th but the judge just ignored it.

Therefore, how should I respond to this letter? Should I mail him a letter stating his service was late and that his authority only required my appearance? Should I just response saying that his service was late and not state anything about the wrong authority he used? Please advise. Thanks.

I don't remember the untimely service part, but I do remember that he failed to use the proper CCP 1987 authority.

Should I mail him a letter stating his service was late and that his authority only required my appearance?

A: Only you can decide what to do. I "justanswer" the questions. His notice did not require your appearance, because CCP 1985 is the authority for a subpoena duces tecum, and you weren't served a subpoena duces tecum, so you weren't required to do anything at all.

Should I just response saying that his service was late and not state anything about the wrong authority he used?

A: You could say that service was untimely, and that regardless, his notice did not legally require you to do anything at all -- and, then you could wait to hear the screaming, if he figures out the mistake.

I really don't know what to do. If he moves to compel production, your response would be that you were never required to do anything because you were not served a subpoena duces tecum under CCP 1985. The judge will crack up laughing.

what is a subpoena duces tecum? also, are you able to read your answers in the preceeding questions regarding the untimely service?
also, this idoit knows my home address and has it correct on the mailing envelope. but this is the 4th time he has placed "Shady" on the actual letter where my address is placed. how can i address this and tell him to stop playing childish games and use the correct address?

A: A subpoena duces tecum is a means of compelling a nonparty witness to appear at a trial and bring documents within the control of the witness. It can be used to subpoena a party, but generally is not, because it's more complicated than a notice to appear and produce.

A: Just notify him that the address is incorrect on the lettehead. Don't make a big deal of de minimis stuff. It just clouds the air unnecessarily.