Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

If you have overpaid child support in colorado and a judgement

Customer Question
is entered against the mother...
If you have overpaid child support in colorado and a judgement is entered against the mother how do you get the money back?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/24/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
If you have a judgment entered against the mother for repayment, then you need to go back to the court and ask for a motion for garnishment and a motion to seize property and bank accounts to secure and satisfy your judgment (Motion to Enforce Judgment). It is in this motion that you identify her property, bank accounts and employment and ask the court for an order to take that property for your judgment and the court will issue the order and then you serve that order on the bank and her employer and the sheriff will seize any property specified and in that way the judgment is satisfied.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Great answer Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX there are so much overpayments is because they are ganishing two sources of income and we just went to court to get CS lowered from $700 to $190.00 but they did nothing to take away both ganishments so the overpayments continue. The mother is averaging 1101.00 per month because of this and the current order says $190.00 but they only did a judgement for up to the court date and have not fixed the garnishments.
If you are still bound to pay, you can also ask the court for an order crediting you for the overpayments, meaning all payments should stop until the overpayments are made up. You would need to get an order from the court to the child support agency if they are the ones continuing the garnishments.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer