Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Rescue society Angels for Animals in Clifton, NJ forced us…

Customer Question
Rescue society Angels for Animals...
Rescue society Angels for Animals in Clifton, NJ forced us to pay $3000 in care of dog we foster
Rescue society Angels for Animals asked us to foster a beagle, supposedly a 7 year-old female. When they dropped dog off at our house it turned up to be a two year-old male. No instructions were given to us, no contract and not even a name for the dog.
Turned out the dog had a large area of stitches on his belly. When we called, the rescue people said they didn't know. The next day we went to our vet, who also is the rescue society vet. He got some papers from a hospital - the dog had had hernia surgery and was neutered days before.
We then paid $300 in vaccines and heart worm/flea medication. A few weeks later dog developed a hacking cough and stopped eating. Turned out he had kennel cough and canine flu. The rescue people, who told us they would pay for part of the cost then refused to pay anything,and we wound up paying $2500. The dog is now at the vet, and we need advice. We had thought of adopting him, but now we have no dog and no money. Please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/23/2010
Family Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Please note:
We cannot provide legal advice on JustAnswer.

However, we can answer questions.

Knowing that, do you have a question? If so, what is your question?

Thanks!
What is my recourse now? Can I place the credit card payment on dispute? Do I have to sue the rescue people in small claims court?
I am not a professional foster care giver. I was just asked to foster this dog and mayhem ensued.
I now understand that a basics of fostering include full veterinarian care by the rescuer.

­Please click Accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

Your recourse really depends on the agreement with or the assurances made by the rescue facility. If the rescue facility agreed to pay for any veterinary bills as part of a contract involving fostering the animal (even if the agreement was oral), the rescue facility may have a contractual obligation to repay you. However, even if the rescue facility merely promised you that the facility would repay you for any medical expenses, if you relied on such a promise in taking the action you took, you may have a basis for a detrimental reliance claim, even if no contract existed. In either such case, you'd want to retain an attorney to assist you with asserting your rights. Your attorney may be able to persuade the company to do the right thing. However, if he cannot, he can assist you with the process of filing suit if you choose to do so.

An individual is typically only entitled to dispute a credit card payment for reasons related to the party who was paid using the credit card. A third party's promise to repay a card user a sum would not change the rights of the party that is entitled to be paid for services rendered.

While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth. Please do not shoot the messenger.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,

T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Sorry for tardiness - had to go to the vet to pick up above-mentioned dog.
As I mentioned before, there was no agreement, no papers were signed and the rescue people just dropped the dog at my door.
Also, I was hoping to hear from someone with NJ legal experience. Could you maybe check the NJ law on the issue?
thanks - drora kemp.
Dear Mr. T-USA -
I presented my problem to this web site because it was staffed by attorneys. I received nothing in your answer that I could not tell myself, except that you had not read my question with enough care to see that no papers were exchanged between the rescue society and myself. I understand your disclaimer but I expected a response by a New Jersey-licensed attorney, and that addressed my question according to the facts I presented.
I regret to inform you that I am not satisfied with your answer.
thanks - drora kemp.