Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My 17 year old granddaughter left home/was kicked out a few…

Customer Question
My 17 year old granddaughter...
My 17 year old granddaughter left home/was kicked out a few months ago and is currently living with her uncle, her mother's brother. In the meantime, mother's home was foreclosed on and she moved somewhere else with a boyfriend. Granddaughter's bio-dad is deceased. Both my daughter and granddaughter are very angry with each other, but daughter refuses to take her daughter's calls or texts. Granddaughter has been trying to get her mother to sign over non-durable power of attorney to her uncle in case she becomes ill or injurred but so far that hasn't happened. I've gone so far as to buy the forms she needs and get them to her, but that has yet to happen. Granddaughter feels vulnerable and in a state of limbo about getting on with her life.

Everyone lives in Colorado, in different cities, but all in the metro area. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/21/2010
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Uncle can file for third-party custody of granddaughter. Third-party custody is custody awarded to a person who is not a parent.