Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I live in Kansas my son is 11 years old he wants my husband…

Customer Question
I live in Kansas my...
I live in Kansas my son is 11 years old he wants my husband to adopt him it has been three years since his dad has had anything to do with him.. Last year he seen his dad on accident does that count as seeing him? what can we do to start the adoption or do we need to wait another 2 years. I know if we brought the adoption to his bio fathers attention he wouldn't let it happen even though he has nothing to do with his son.. Is my son old enough to say what he wants he will be 12 in September
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Family Lawyer: dkennedy, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
dkennedy
dkennedy, Attorney at Law

I would like to help you with this, but I do need to ask you a few questions.

Does his father pay child support?

Is the father established legally as the father? Do you have legal custody? Does he have court ordered visitation?

What have you done to try to encourage contact between your son and his father?

Are you encouraging the adoption idea because you no longer wish to have the "dad" involved with you or your son?

The father does not pay me child support he pays child support to the state for when I was on state assistants no he does not have visitation he has been legally found as the father his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate he has drug and alcohol problems and she I am encouraging this adoption but my son is the one that brought it up he would love for my husband to be his dad... I have not done anything to encourage my son to see his dad and he doesn't want to see his dad.. He has a 26 year old brother from his dad that came down that year and took my son for a little while and he seen his dad I was told the dad wasn't going to be there

If there is a court order for support, you should be getting your current support before the state gets any, but since you didn't ask about that, I will move to another subject.

Even in the area of family law (divorce, custody, visitation, etc.) many people think the law is "black and white" and that there are specific laws on each and every detail of the proceedings, but that is not true. In order for the new husband to adopt your son, you would, of course, have to terminate the rights of the father.

That is usually not easy to do. The courts believe that each child has a right to know who his or her parents are. Also, if every "mom" was able to terminate the rights of the "dad" after they broke up and she moved on to another boyfriend or husband, the courts would be totally clogged up by termination and adoption cases. The case law pretty much has shown that the courts will not easily terminate the rights of the father (or mother for that matter) for numerous reasons, including the idea of getting support, knowing your family medical and other history, the idea that a biological parent has inherent rights, and others.

That being said, if you succeed in getting the father's rights terminated, you would then proceed with the adoption.

As for your child being able to go into court and "pick" who he wants as a dad, there is no age at which that can happen. Possibly with teenagers, the court might listen to their wishes. The older the child, the more likely it is that the court might listen to them. They adhere to the idea that these decisions are for adults, not children. And, it is a huge burden to put on a child to have to stand in a courtroom and say he wants a new father.

Courts also put a great deal of importance on which parent would be the best to foster contact with the other parent. So if you take this to a contested hearing, your ex might bring it up that you have not allowed visitation. It is pretty telling that you let the 26 year old brother visit on the condition that the boy didn't see his dad. Yet, you say that the dad doesn't want anything to do with him. These are the things that the father and his attorney, are likely to bring up. Courts don't like this at all.

None of this sounds good to you, I know, but I just want you to know the reality of the situation. Courts hear every day, that the mom is now re-married and the new husband "wants to adopt." It is a very serious matter, and the courts do not take these things lightly.

If and when you get to court, be as nice as you can when testifying and do not, under any circumstances, "bash" the other parent--it only will come back to haunt you.

Get a good attorney, because this is not the time to have any mistakes made. Good luck.

I have no way of getting ahold of the father his family tells me the only way is if he gets ahold of them so how would I go about finding him?? 5 years ago he took me to court for visitation and the judge granted supervised visits after 2 months he quit coming around or calling... Before the supervised visits he had received a few DUI's and endangering a child he is a drug addict and an alcoholic... He was abusive to me in front of my son until I left him and got away... So you are saying I shouldn't bring any of this up in court or should I just let the attorney know and let him decide???

As far as the dad's history, just talk that over with the attorney. And, I'm not saying to hide it, but rather not to "go off" and sound hateful about it.

Here is an example:

If asked on the stand about your ex's drug and alcohol history, don't say: "That dirty )((*&^(%%)) is a no-good alcoholic and drug addict and he's never going to see his son again."

But, this is better:

"Unfortunately "Bob" has had problems with substances and when we were together he was not successful in getting treatment for it. This created a dangerous situation at times, for both me and my son."

Can you see that the second example sounds calm, intelligent, and mature. You are not personally against him (which happens often) but rather are looking out for your son's best interest.

Half the people that are involved in custody cases, divorce, visitation and termination cases, accuse the other parent of drugs, alcohol, domestic abuse, and abandonment. So, the courts hear that daily and repeatedly. You have to demonstrate you thought it out, and are doing your best for your son--nothing hateful or personal against the dad.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.