Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I really need some helpI need to know how to write a letter…

Customer Question
I really need some help I...
I really need some help
I need to know how to write a letter to the judge for an extension...i dont have an attorney and my opposing party does and our court is nov 17 and his attorney is throwing all kinds of paper work and production of document requests and im afraid to answer them without legal counsel....his attorney sent me a letter saying that she was disatisfied with my answers and that i had until a certain date to get everything to her otherwise she would file a motion to compel...can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2010
Family Lawyer: Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney replied 8 years ago
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
NEED MORE INFO.....

1. What kind a lawsuit is it that at pending? And in what state.

2. What kind of "extension" is it that you are seeing? And why?

3. When you say "our court is nov 17" what exactly is supposed to occur on that date?

4. What kinds of "paper work and production of document requests" has been requested that you are afraid to answer without legal counsel?

5. It is five monhs between now and Nov 17. Why do you believe more than five months is needed to be ready for court?

It's a nasty custody battle that i shouldnt have to deal with. I've raised my son all my self and have provided for him and now that he is 2 1/2 his biological dad who signed his rights away in front of a notory at a bank but not in court is going thru the court system to try and prove me unfit and take full custody of him. He paid child support from when he was 7mo old but i didnt ask for it and i dont need it. He makes horrible decisions and doesnt know how to take care of a child. My son was fully potty trained before court order visitation started on march 10th and went back to diapers after the 3rd visit. I'm trying to find a lawyer who will pick up the case but because he has the best lawyer in the state no one wants to go against her. This custody battle is in the state of Iowa. Our first court was on March 1st and I didnt know how to represent myself and did a horrible job and now the judge thinks hes equal to me. This man has a horrible criminal record and even has indecent exposure on it and he just wants to party and his mom lives in story county iowa and so he told the judge he was living with her cuz he couldnt afford the child support that he has to pay for me and his daughters mother. however I found out he was sleeping with a bunch of girls and has jumped all around iowa and now is currently living with someone in an apt together and paying her rent but i cant prove it. I dont want to have to represent myself. His attorney already made me look so bad and she paid my old daycare lady to lie to the judge and tell him that when i brought my son to her daycare when he was 5mo old, that he smelled like urine and ciggarettes and that they had to bathe him in the sink to provide quality care and that he wore the same clothes he wore the previous day, and that he cried inconsolibly...all of which arent true...i might be able to prove it but dont know thats only if this person would be willing to testify for me.

I would like an extension until I get a lawyer. I applied for one thru legal aid back in February but havnt been provided one yet. I found out after looking thru the yellow pages that no one wants to take the case cuz of the lawyer who he has. It sucks! His attorney sent me 26 interrogatories to fill out but i dont want to say too much cuz then she will know way too much to premeditate for court and im not a lawyer so I dont want to say too little but i dont want to say too much. I answered some of them. I dont know who my witnesses are going to be yet, and I dont know certain things but she wants the information.

She's asking for any recordings, evidentiary exhibits, pictures all of that which I have but dont know yet if they will be presented in court as evidence. I dont want to handle this without an attorney; I will look so bad. November 17th the judge makes the final decision. I would like to move closer to my family in Louisiana or Texas and to get away from his Dad but dont know how to request to go out of state and if he would get visitation. The unsupervised visits have been so bad and have turned him from a sweet boy to a fighter and shows disrespect, has regressed back to diapers, and wont listen at all like he used to..and on top of that he has been saying since the 3rd visit that "Alan" touched his pee pee...and that peepee goes in the mouth...hes been to blanks childrens hospital twice to have a rape kit done but none of the results have come back yet. His dad has shown complete neglect to my child when hes in my care. I have tried calling DHS and the POLICE but that only made things worse and DHS screwed me and is on his side becuase of his attorney who showed up at the meeting.

His Dad doesnt care and just doesnt want to pay child support. The Judge ordered us both to sign up for the family wizard website and hes not cooperating. All of the communication needs to stem thru this site and he still texts me and calls me I just dont answer. Hes not following the order and tries to see my son outside of the order and is violating the order and I could hold him in contempt but dont know how to do it. What should I do? Any advice would be extremely helpful!

Your situation calls for direct legal assistance and representation, thus seeking far more than simply legal information, which is all that the JustAnswer.com service is designed to provide.

All that I can do here is to provide you with the website of the Iowa Legal Services Corp. and suggest you contact that agency if you have not already done so.
http://www.iowalegalaid.org/ia/homepage.html

And with that I will "opt out."