Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What form do I need to gain legal guardinship of a minor in…

Customer Question
What form do I need...
What form do I need to gain legal guardinship of a minor in Texas? Do both parents have to consent to guardinship? What is the process to file the paperwork?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Family Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 8 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I actually answered your question earlier - looks like your relisted.
You need to file a SUIT AFFECTING PARENT CHILD RELATIONSHIP. If this is voluntary then YES, both need to sign a waiver.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Does the "SUIT AFFECTING PARENT CHILD RELATIONSHIP" have to go through a lawyer or can we handle this ourselves? We are not trying to terminate the childs Parents rights we are just trying to get custody so we can make decisions on his behalf in regards XXXXX XXXXX treatment, being able to sign school documents and such. Is the suit still the only ave. possible?
I understand. You can typically handle it yourself if you're familiar with the process. I can also help you find an attorney if you'd like. As for the petition, if you wish to go at it yourself, you may find it at nolo.com or legalzoom.com.