Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Hi. I hope you can help me with some questions. I have a…

Customer Question
Hi. I hope you...
Hi. I hope you can help me with some questions. I have a 3Bdrm home that has been in probate. Long story short-the home is out of probate as of this coming week. My dad passed away on Dec 24 '08. I had to put the house in probate because my dad did not take my deceased brother's name off things. Therefore, I am sharing w/my deceased brother's son. We have a buyer from a mortgage company. The house does not have a mortgage. Myself and my nephew decided to go w/the mortgage co. because it' just an easier thing for us to do. The man from the mortgage co. told us he would pay by May 1 '10 He has promised to pay several times. Why is he stalling? Is there something we can do? All we want is our buy-out. He's from a good firm.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/13/2010
Family Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 8 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Dear jacustomer,

If you have a valid contract between you and the buyer, and there is no contingent reason as to why he has breached the May 1, 2010 closing date, you could sue him for breach of contract. If you are not living in the house, you could arguably sue for the 1+ months rental value of the home on top of whatever damages would otherwise be.

As for why he is stalling? Only he could tell you that, but if this were me, I'd likely not engage with him further until I had my own lawyer handling it. You obviously don't need a real estate agent, since you 'seem' to have a buyer, but you need someone to knock heads as they take advantage of you. Also, I do not know of a single major mortgage company out there that has not been accused of various deceptive practices, so 'reputable' apparently means very little when it comes to mortgage companies. Also, if it is with a company, why are you still dealing with him? I'd have been speaking with his manager the moment he screwed up the planned closing. They will continue to walk on your until you don't let them. From this point forward, I'd put every conversation or communication in writing, mailed cert. r.r.r. - you may need it if you have to sue that buyer. And when you get tired of waiting, have a r/e lawyer review your contract - hopefully it was not drafted by the mortgage company, as there may be little recourse for you, obviously, put into the contract. But, you never know - once the lawyer reads it, he can tell if this delay is actually a breach or not - and whether you have recourse AND, whether you can move on to find another buyer if you choose.

Good luck.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.