Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I would appreciate your help very much

Customer Question
I am living in Chicago...
I am living in Chicago, IL. I'm in the middle of divorcing. But both of us haven't filed the divorce rather went to see a mediator twice. Unfortunately, there was an episode on Sunday. My husband and I had an argument over the house. He became violent. I called the police. I asked them not to arrest him but let him go on that day. Now my husband is not coming back but staying in his friend's house. He wanna sue me to the court. He wanna sue me domestic violence, tell others that I was psycho, wanna take over the house...... I like to know what I should do to protect myself and my kids. thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/10/2010
Family Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
You need to hire an attorney to pursue your rights to any property and custody. You can still press charges for his violence so that you are not the only one with charges against them.
could you make it a bit detailed on pressing charges for his violence so that i am not the only one with charges against them? what are them?

I understand that i need an attorney. what i am concerned is if i was charged for DV, i would lose my custody of my kids', i am an immigrant, i would lose my status here and get deported. my husband told me that he filed lots of police reports against, he recorded my scream when we were fighting, he said he had proofs that i abused him, he told his friends and psychologist........

i don't know what i should do to win the case, i can't afford to lose, otherwise, i would lose my kids if the judge believes him, and get deported.
Relist: Incomplete answer.