How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenants said they will be moving at the end of this month

This answer was rated:

My tenants said they will be moving at the end of this month Insists they do not have to abide by the 12 month lease til August 31. They states I can use the last month's rent and the security as payment towards the rent. Not acceptable. Security not for rental payment (which is writen in the lease) I told him Apartment inspected and determined if there are any damages- the security minus any damages will be returned in 30 days of termination They have been rude and very demanding that it has been impossible to communicate with them Problems in the past regarding decorations, noise, garbage, noise. Downstairs tenant complaining Gas and electricity in my name - they owe me- can I shut it off if they don't pay? lease states they are responsible to pay me directly I have electrician coming tomorrow- if they do not respond can I enter the apartment after 24 hour notice- 4 days ago notified me of light not working.

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

A tenant may not typically cancel a lease contract at the tenant's whim. Instead, when a tenant signs a lease, the tenant has agreed to the duration of the lease. Of course, if the landlord has breached the lease or failed to keep the rental unit in a habitable condition, a tenant may have a basis to cancel the lease.

While landlords may occasionally enter a property without permission when necessary to prevent serious property damage, a landlord who enters the property otherwise may expose himself to liability. Absent a court order to remove a tenant from a property, the property is sadly the tenant's home and a tenant has a right to exclude a landlord from the property until a court order to the contrary exists. Further, if a landlord shuts off utilities, a landlord may expose himself to liability. That can constitute a constructive eviction.

The appropriate remedy to remove a tenant is to proceed through the court system. In this way, the landlord can seek his appropriate remedies while avoiding unnecessary exposure to liability.

You'll want to retain an attorney to assist you with evaluating whether the tenants have a legal basis to cancel the lease and to assist you with collecting the sum you are due, if any.

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.



Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you