Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My son and daughter-in-law prevent me from seeing my grandson.

My son and daughter-in-law prevent me from seeing my grandson. This occurred starting last September after a disagreement between my daughter-in-law and me. Although the disagreement had nothing to do with my grandson, my daughter-in-law uses him as a "pawn." My son claims that he has to respect her wishes. We were all livin in New Mexico at the time. I moved to Georgia in December to care for my elderly parents. Prior to September, 2009, I used to see my grandson about twice a week. All I want is to have him be able to visit me and for me to be able to visit him. This has been very painful for me. What are my rights?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Your rights are to file a GRANDPARENT'S PETITION FOR VISITATION. Every state has this statute including Georgia, while allows grandparents the right to visit their grandchildren a few hours a week per court order. HOWEVER, you'd have to prove that doing so will be "in the best interest of the child" and helpful in their development and well being. I can help you find an affordable attorney if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could you e-mail the names of some attorneys in my area? I live in Waleska, Georgia.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Sure thing. I'd like to refer you to the GA Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.

http://www.georgialawyerreferral.com/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will try the Georgia Bar Referral Program.
Expert:  Ely replied 7 years ago.
Best of luck, sir.