How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lady Themis Your Own Question
Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7751
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lady Themis is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is an Evidenciary Affidavit to support temporary orders

This answer was rated:

What is an "Evidenciary Affidavit to support temporary orders"? (75N) My daughter's husband has taken their 2 children into another county here in Ohioand is trying to establish venue there. He has had the children for a week today and refuses to bring them back home or allow my daughter to get them from him. This Evidenciary Affidavit has been filed in that county.

Thank you for your question.


This type of affidavit is required by the Ohio Rules of Court (rule 75(n)) when a party requests custodial orders before final judgment. The affidavit acts as the party's proof that the relief requested should be granted so that the court does not have to have a hearing. However, you can file a counteraffidavit and/or request an oral hearing within a certain time period. Here is the rule in its entirety:


(N) Allowance of spousal support, child support, and custody pendente lite.

(1) When requested in the complaint, answer, or counterclaim, or by motion served with the pleading, upon satisfactory proof by affidavit duly filed with the clerk of the court, the court or magistrate, without oral hearing and for good cause shown, may grant spousal support pendente lite to either of the parties for the party's sustenance and expenses during the suit and may make a temporary order regarding the support, maintenance, and allocation of parental rights and responsibilities for the care of children of the marriage, whether natural or adopted, during the pendency of the action for divorce, annulment, or legal separation.

(2) Counter affidavits may be filed by the other party within fourteen days from the service of the complaint, answer, counterclaim, or motion, all affidavits to be used by the court or magistrate in making a temporary spousal support order, child support order, and order allocating parental rights and responsibilities for the care of children. Upon request, in writing, after any temporary spousal support, child support, or order allocating parental rights and responsibilities for the care of children is journalized, the court shall grant the party so requesting an oral hearing within twenty-eight days to modify the temporary order. A request for oral hearing shall not suspend or delay the commencement of spousal support or other support payments previously ordered or change the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities until the order is modified by journal entry after the oral hearing.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This is just a temporary order, right? Does the court automatically make that part of the judgment when the case is heard? We intend to file a counter affidavit of course, but in the meantime, no one can make him give the girls back, can they?

Yes, these would be temporary orders, not permanent. Since the parties are married, there is nothing other that can be done to force them back except to get a court order in the divorce case.
Lady Themis and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
You're welcome. Best of luck to you.

Related Family Law Questions