Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My with has sole custody of our 2 children and i have visitation

Customer Question
rights. She threatens to...
My with has sole custody of our 2 children and i have visitation rights. She threatens to move away. Does she have the right to just up and move?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Ellen, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Ellen, Lawyer

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Your former wife must abide by the current court order and thus, in order to move, would typically require a modification to the order.

This is commonly referred to as a "move away" contest. To prevail, she would need to show the court that, based a significant change of circumstances, modification permiting her to relocate with the child is in the best interests of the child.
Ellen, Lawyer
Ellen, Lawyer