Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
14472836

MY SON JUST GOT TAKEN AWAY FROM ME BY HIS FATHER. THEY LEFT

MY SON JUST GOT TAKEN AWAY FROM ME BY HIS FATHER. THEY LEFT THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA TO COLORADO. WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
Is there a visitation order in place ? Were or are you married ? Has paternity been established or is the father on the birth certificate ?

Edited by jrzepka on 6/1/2010 at 5:22 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. Nothing.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
Were or are you married ? Has paternity been established or is the father on the birth certificate ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We were never married. Never established paternity. He however, stayed with his father majority of the time. Not sure what is on the birth certificate. We are from Washington state and moved to California 9 months ago. He never got a job and was living with his mother, he is 48 years old and hasn't had a job for 10 years. I have a job and a place for my son. He is not stable and I just found out he left to stay with his sister in Colorado this morning. I finally got a text message from him asking me to call him when I get a few min. I am not sure how to proceed without flying off the handle with him. Please tell me what I should do. This is just too much and I haven't slept for 24 hours since I wasnt able to reach him.

Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

You should contact the police. Yu should make sure that they are aware paterity is not established, and no custody order is ion place. The unauthorized transportation of a child across state boundries can be a serious offence. Given that the paternity has not been established, and the birth certificate does not identify the individual as the father they may be able to assist in getting the child back. You may also be able to enlist the Colorado police's assistance in getting the child back (with the birth certificate).

If you found this answer helpful please press the ACCEPT button.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.