Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband filed for a divorce on April 16th but has yet to

Customer Question
send me any paperwork....
My husband filed for a divorce on April 16th but has yet to send me any paperwork. He went through legal aid and lied so was granted a restraint. I transferred to a new job at the end of November and upon my kids request left my children with my mom to finish out the school year. He told legal aide i abandoned my children and left a month earlier than the state law requires to satisfy his claim. He rarely has any contact with my kids and they live with my mother. All their care is either thorugh me with my insurance and job or my mom. What are my options?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 7 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You can go to the court and get a copy of the papers he filed. Then you will know what is in them. Additionally, you can file a Voluntary Answer without waiting to be served with the lawsuit for divorce. After that you can request a Temporary Hearing when you can ask for custody and temporary child support as well as temporary spousal support. Alternatively, you can wait until you are served with the divorce papers---which could be months.

Additionally, regardless of what he might have told legal aid, leaving your children with your mother will not constitute abandonment in the eyes of the court.

I wish you and your children the best in 2010.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law