Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

my half sister obtained a guardianship for my father and I

was not consulted. My...
my half sister obtained a guardianship for my father and I was not consulted. My father lives in Florida and he wants to come back to NJ and visit his sisters and brother and stay with me for a couple of weeks (father is 88). My sister states that he is not permitted to leave the state. Can you advise me as to whom to contact to get this guardianship amended? I am concerned because she had previously put him in an assisted living facility and did not tell me where he was etc but he did not want to be there, so she agreed to return him to his own home and she now has people coming in to attend to the housekeeping, medications etc
Shouldn't I have been advised when this was all taken place? I am the eldest of my father's children
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2010
Ely, Counselor at Law

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Yes. What she did was wrong since she needs to sue all interested parties for guardianship hearing! She's have to serve all interested family members so they can come and agree or challenge the claim before the guardianship is granted. So, you can file a MOTION TO SET ASIDE JUDGMENT and re-hear the case b/c you were not served. Speak with a probate attorney to file said motion. I can help you find an affordable one if you'd like.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Per your feedback - I'd like to refer you to the FL Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.

http://www.floridabar.org/tfb/tfbconsum.nsf/48e76203493b82ad852567090070c9b9/ec2322e512b83d1e85256b2f006cc812?opendocument(It's offline right now for maintenance, but check back later)

Ely, Counselor at Law