How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34756
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

About child support, what is the formula used in washington

This answer was rated:

About child support, what is the formula used in washington state to figure out how much the other parent pays? Where would I find out this information to see now if it would be different because of income changes? Can a parent just decide to pay less on their own because of their income change or do they need to go to court to do that?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Is there a current court order for support?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Here is the caluclator the state uses

NO, a parent can not simply "pay less"...if there is a valid order, the parent must comply or be in contempt of court.

Now, if there is substantial change in income to either parent, the paying parent can request the court modify the support...child support is always open to modification. But only the court can modify the order and, unless or until the order is modified, its in force and must be followed.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

P. Simmons and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you