Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in virginia with my boyfriend, he is ina custody battle

Customer Question
with his ex who is...
I live in virginia with my boyfriend, he is ina custody battle with his ex who is about to be proven mentally ill and not fit to have the kids. We are both stable people with good jobs. Would a court deny him custody because he co-habbitates with me ? would they rather they go into foster? Grand parents are a non option as well
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

In VA its a crime to "cohabitate" (live together as couple but not be married). Its a misdemeanor.

The judge can consider this in placing the kids.

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer