How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question about an automobile and rights. Situation Married

This answer was rated:

Question about an automobile and rights. Situation:
Married Couple but marriage not stable, seperation/divorce beginning.
2 children, infant and toddler. Still joint domicile. Husband has one auto, financing and title unknown, wife has 2nd car, title & registration in both names, both are borrowers. Wife has proof of payment in her name on all payments and are up to date. Husband is threatning to take car away and is doing things such as disabling A/C to try to restrict wife's usage.
What are her rights regarding the automobile?

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

If the vehicles were acquired during the term of the marriage, they are both considered marital assets regardless of how the vehicles are titled.

If the husband is taking abusive action against the wife such as disabling her AC and restricting access to her vehicle, the situation could quickly escalate to a physical altercation.

Your daughter may consider obtaining a temporary restraining order (TRO) based on fear of physical harm. This would put her husband out of the house and could give her exclusive access to when vehicle

She would need to go to the local courthouse to obtain the TRO. The clerk will give her the forms and assist her. The judge will immediately sign the TRO if the forms on their face appear that she is in reasonable fear of harm
Ellen and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you