Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

So (teen 13 years old) has no rights to decide if they dont

So (teen 13 years old)...
So (teen 13 years old) has no rights to decide if they don't want to be on concerta for ADHD, if parents beleive it is helping? What if one parent (residental home) wants to support the teens right to be off? Is court (mediation) the only option? What if a teen really wants to stop visitation with a parent, would they have to go to court with the other parent to fight that?
6/1/2010
Attorney & Mediator
1) So (teen 13 years old) has no rights to decide if they don't want to be on concerta for ADHD, if parents beleive it is helping?

Correct a child has no "power" to decide what is in their best interests. Only the parents or the court can make that decision. If he were emancipated, he may have the right. Emancipation means he is capable of living on his own, unsupported by his family or other people.

2) What if one parent (residental home) wants to support the teens right to be off? Is court (mediation) the only option?

When there is no agreement among the parents, going to court is the only options. Mediation will be attempted to find a resolution, but if there is no solution the judge will be the one deciding. Decisions are made based on what will be in the child's best interests, not in the interests of the parents.

3)What if a teen really wants to stop visitation with a parent, would they have to go to court with the other parent to fight that?

Yes, they would have to go to court. A child has no say since a child cannot be placed in such a position to decide against or for his parents. So if both parents cannot make an agreement, the court decides. To change the parenting arrangment would require showing a "change in circumstances"; meaning the current arrangement is no longer serving the best interest of the child and it is reasonable to ask for visitation to stop. Again the focus would be on the child's best interests.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer