Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My brother has no will , but has given me power of attorney

Customer Question
My brother has no will...
My brother has no will , but has given me power of attorney to his checking account and cd's. When he passes on ,am I entitled to the asscets that are in these accounts? Or will the funds go into probate?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Richard Granat, Family Law Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard Granat
Richard Granat, Family Law Attorney
I can help you with your divorce and family law issues, including divorce, name change, custody, child support, alimony, MSA, and visitation.

The power of attorney will terminate upon his death. It does not entitle you to his assets. You will have to inherit his assets under his will, or if he doesn't have a will, you will receive what is called a statutory share the amount of which depends on who else survives him.

The only way you can avoid probate and to inherit these funds directly is to make these accounts and the CD, joint accounts or with joint ownership.

If these accounts are owned jointly, the survivor inherits automatically without the requirement of probate.

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.
My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.
If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. Thank you.

________________________________________
Richard Granat
Richard Granat
Richard Granat, Family Law Attorney