How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer Lori Your Own Question
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2161
Experience:  Divorce, custody and child support attorney.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawyer Lori is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

During the past 3 years my ex has not allowed me to regularly

Customer Question

During the past 3 years my ex has not allowed me to regularly see my children during my scheduled visitation time. I didn't see them during the fall of '08, from Jan-June 09, the fall of '09 and Jan-May '10. She also hasn't let me have my holidays regularly either. I am going to file for contempt of court and hope to be able to fight for custody sooner than later. How long does it take for the contempt? And do you think I have a case against her for alienation supporting me getting primary placement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you should file a motion for contempt. Generally, these are heard within 6-8 weeks. The custody hearing will probably take longer. However, as part of the contempt motion, you should file a motion to enforce visitation so that you can see the children this summer. I would suggest that you seek having dates stated explicitly in the order for the summer so that you can have the local police help you enforce the order if necessary.

Good luck.