How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I would like to adopt our ex-son-in-law. He

This answer was rated:

My husband and I would like to adopt our ex-son-in-law. He is 23. He was married to my daughter for 16 months, they did not have any children and the divorce was amicable. His family is stalking him and causing him alot of grief. His residence has been with us since 12/08 except when he is attending college. He took our last name during the marriage and retained it after the divorce. Our family is in agreement to the adoption.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

In West Virginia, a husband and wife may jointly adopt an adult provided they are both residents of West Virginia and the adult consents. You may obtain the proper forms at a local law library or retain local counsel to assist you.

Citation: Ann. Code § 48-22-201; 48-22-801; 49-3-1; 48-22-104

Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you