Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

MY HUSBANDS SON IS LIVING WITH HIS AUNT AND SHE HAS FILED

Customer Question
MY HUSBAND'S SON IS LIVING...
MY HUSBAND'S SON IS LIVING WITH HIS AUNT AND SHE HAS FILED FOR LEGAL CUSTODY AND CHILD SUPPORT. WE LIVE IN TX AND SO DOES HIS AUNT. SHE HAS GONE TO LOUISIANA TO FILE FOR CHILD SUPPORT. THEY SAY THAT LA WILL USE MY INCOME ALSO TO DETERMINE THE AMOUNT OF CHILD SUPPORT SHE WILL GET. CAN SHE LEGALLY DO THIS?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: ANDREA,, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer

Litigants are not permitted to "Forum shop", that is, look for the jurisdiction which will be more favorable to their case. If the aunt and the child are residents of Texas, a Louisiana Court will not have jurisdiction to hear the case. First and foremost, the aunt has to prove that the child has been a legal resident of Louisiana for 6 months immediately preceding the filing of the Complaint for Custody and Complaint for Child Support. It is important that your husband file an Answer and Counterclaim as soon as he receives the Complaint for Custody and Complaint for Child Support and state in your Answer to both Complaints that the Louisiana Court does not have jurisdiction in either case and if the aunt is claiming such residency, she will be perpetrating a fraud on the Courts of Louisiana.

________________________________________________________________

Please press "ACCEPT" so that I may receive credit for assisting you

That is the only way I get paid

Your question will not close when you press "ACCEPT" and you may ask follow up questions, if you like, for clarification

___________________________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LLM

MEMBER, NY & PA BAR

Don't forget to leave positive feedback!

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
ANDREA,
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer