socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I have 2 children under 14, I am the custodial parent and gave

Customer Question

I have 2 children under 14, I am the custodial parent and gave my x the right to claim the children on the tax forms because we owed $30,000 in back taxes. It has been at least 5 years now and I would like to reverse my position and possible pursue additional support from father.
Where do I begin my pursuit?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

First of all, you are legally entitled to the right to claim the children, because you are the custodial parent. So, your ex did not "give" you anything.

Second, even if he did give you the right to claim the kids on your tax return, that wouldn't stop you from seeking a child support modification. You can request a modification any time that there is a change in financial circumstances affecting the child(ren)'s best interests.

If you want to do it the inexpensive way, you can contact Mass. Dept. of Revenue, apply for services and they will take care of the rest.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WOULD I GO THROUGH THE SAME DEPT OF REVENUE TO REQUEST ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE CHILDREN

The Dept. of Revenue can only handle child support. If you seek an alimony/maintenance increase, you will have to hire a lawyer. For a family law attorney referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=MA and www.martindale.com.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'M NOT SEEKING ALIMONY/MAINTENANCE INCREASE, I AM LOOKING FOR AND INCREASE IN CHILD SUPPORT FOR I NEVER RECEIVED ALIMONY TO BEGIN WITH
Then the Dept. of Revenue link that I gave you in my first answer is the way to go.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WELL CHAT LATER, I HAVE TO GO TO BED NOW, GOOD NIGHT

We seem to be having a bit of a communcation problem. I'll simply repeat my first answer, which is that if you seek to modify child support, then you can contact Mass. Dept. of Revenue, apply for services and they will take care of the rest.

Best of luck.