Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in the state of California. My husband and I have had

Customer Question
I live in the state...
I live in the state of California. My husband and I have had different financial comfort levels regarding debt & spending. I love him but the man can't even do the basic math of keeping a checking account in the positive. I'm very nervous as he will be working out of state for next 2 years and will need to be responsible about paying his own bills ect-in addition i'm tired of carrying the burden of being his finanical "mom". Is it possible in CA to financially divorce/separate so I won't be liable for any screw ups he makes while he is away. I work & make the majority of our income and we have a 4year old.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 years ago
There are several ways to do this. One is to hire an attorney to draft an "ante-nuptial agreement' establishing a separate property regime and notifying all of your creditors that as of the specific date you have a separate property regime. This would not have any impact on any contractual agreements you have entered into with any existing creditors for money you already owe. This will not necessarily prevent creditors from trying to pursue you for new debts he has created, but your agreement establishing separate property would make the debts his alone and not community debts.

The other alternative is to file for legal separation which terminates the community property regime as of the date you file. Again, this does not help with any debts already established.

Finally, you can file for divorce. Again, it would not help with any debts already established, but it would stop any new debts he creates from being your liability.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer