How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Virginia. I was adopted approximately fifty-three(53)

Resolved Question:

I live in Virginia. I was adopted approximately fifty-three(53) years ago. Can I change my surname back to my birth name if I do not wish to carry my adopted surname any longer. I do have valid reasons(in my opinion). I do not care about hiding from anyone or anything. I am simply considering "going back" to who I was born as.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Yes it is possible to change your name as long as it is not for an improper reason such as to avoid creditors or any legal actions. The process is fairly simple but you do have to file a petition in the family court and appear before a judge. Here is all the information, instructions and court forms. They are the same statewide.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My purposes are soley for personal reasons. I am in good standing with the legal system and have only the "normal" bills and debt to take care of. No bankruptcy issues, etc. I appreciate the form link. I will accept your answer following my sending you this reply. Thanks for your help.





Related Family Law Questions