Family Law

Last November, I adopted a DCFS child (17 years old, in the…

Customer Question
Last November, I adopted a...
Last November, I adopted a DCFS child (17 years old, in the system for 10 years, 23 foster homes, 3 residential). Since adoption, he had 3 car accidents and 2 arrests. The most recent one turned into a legal nightmare in a juvenile court.
DCFS will stop assistance on his 18th... Read full answer
DCFS will stop assistance on his 18th Birthday next month. He will be considered an adult and they won't have anything to do with him. DCFS post adoption services don't return my calls.
Probation is telling me that I will be legally responsible for the boy for the length of his probation because he will still be considered a juvenile, until his 21 Birthday. I have to provide him with food, shelter, insurance, transportation, etc.
I will not be able to do it because of financial and medical reasons. Can I tell him to leave my house after he turns 18 or is Probation right by saying that I will continue to be legally responsible for him, possibly for another 2-3 years?
Thanks!
Lydia Kvinta
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Family Law
5/27/2010
Family Lawyer: Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
Cowgirl Lawyer
Hello!

In general, in Illinois, a parent is legally responsible for supporting his or her child (including an adopted child) until that child turns 18. There are exceptions to this rule, in that a parent can be held responsible for a special needs child into that child's adulthood. See Strom v. Strom, 13 Ill. App. 2d 354, 142 N.E.2d 172 (1957) for an Illinois case supporting the proposition that a parent must support an adult disabled child. Therefore, it would be possible for a court in Illinois to order that you continue to be responsible for your child after the age of 18. Unless a court orders this, however, you are not required to support the child after the age of 18.

Now, if no court orders you to support your son, and if you have your son evicted from your home, he could be in violation of his probation. And that violation could mean that he is incarcerated. That does not mean that you are legally required to support him, but it could mean that there are legal consequences to him if you do not.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT. I do not get paid for my work unless you click ACCEPT. Like you, I cannot work for free.

Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Cowgirl Lawyer."

Good luck and best wishes!

Cowgirl Lawyer

IMPORTANT: I am not your attorney, and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. My function here is to provide education to the public so that people can understand the law. If you accept my answer, you are accepting educational information. Please remember that this is a public forum. Anything you discuss here is not protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not take any action or fail to take action based upon our discussion here. I am an experienced attorney licensed in Illinois, but I do not hold myself out as an "expert" in any area of law (Illinois does not recognize such attorney specializations). Any representation to the contrary by JustAnswer is in error. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.

Edited by Cowgirl Lawyer on 5/27/2010 at 8:05 PM EST
Cowgirl Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
How do I apply for relinquishing my parental rights for my
How do I apply for relinquishing my parental rights for my kids? … read more
Attorney Bruce
Attorney Bruce
Attorney At Law,
I have a child in my house since August 2017 she has been in
I have a foster child in my house since August 2017 she has been in care since November, 2015. DCF contacted grandmother January 2017 she was denied at that time the great aunt from Ill step up we jus… read more
Sue
Sue
We have had a child in our care for a year. We brought him
we have had a foster child in our care for a year. We brought him home from the hospital after birth. We are all he knows as a family. Parental rights have not yet been terminated but they are trying … read more
Sean K
Sean K
Attorney/Member,
Stop searching for answers—
My friend was a mom she had her nieces two boys the case
My friend was a foster mom she had her nieces two boys the case worker had a close relationship with the client (birth mom ) the three year old came home saying went to Josh house and mommy was kissin… read more
Could u pls let me know according to ga laws what happens if
hi could u pls let me know according to ga laws what happens if both parent refuse to take guardianship go an autistic boy when he turns 18? Would judge place him in foster care? … read more
We need help. My 2nd cousin was in our care for 20 months
We need help. My 2nd cousin was in our care for 20 months but this was in NC and the child was supposed to be in KY where he was placed with my cousin, his aunt. Her name is Christy. She was on drugs and asked us to care for him so we happily accepted after she lied to us telling us she had legal guardianship. It became effident she did not when she would call us in a frantic state to come to KY because someone was coming to make sure David, the child, was doing well. We hired an attorney in Charlotte, NC who advised us to get a home study. We got a home study which was approved as if the child was not in our care as we were advised. Things became very scary when i could not get in touch with my cousin who was supposed to be caring for David. She moved. She changed her number several times. She changed jobs many, many times. She then checked herself into rehab. I was attempting to contact DCF to let them know we had the child and that we needed help. There was significant turnover on this angel's case and nobody responded. Christy even sent an email stating she could not take care of David and she wanted us to be considered for placement and they did nothing. She also failed a home study and they did nothing. I have emails, calls, etc where i tried, they never responded. The GAL told me that Christy was about to begin receiving a subsidy and my husband and I were NOT going to commit fraud so we told the GAL that we had had David in our care pretty much the entire time. DCF flew to our home and took him April 7th. We were promised by them he would not only be returned to us but that we would have visits the very next week. It went to their legal department and now we are being casted out. We have relocated to Lake County, hired an attorney hoping we are granted a home study but it is getting more and more scary as they continue to prolong and cast us out. We love that child. We need help. Bianca … read more
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
CAN AM ADOPTIVED CHILD RETURNED TO BIOLOGICAL PARENTS
CAN AM ADOPTIVED CHILD RETURNED TO BIOLOGICAL PARENTS CONTINUE TO RECEIVE SURVIVOR BENEFITS FROM ADOPTED PARENTS … read more
Sue
Sue
I want advice on adopting my grandson. He is in Florida in
I want advice on adopting my grandson. He is in Florida in foster care. I am a step grandmother in Louisiana. If not adopt how about custody? … read more
Litigation Attorney,
I am in need of an attorney and I am not sure what to look
I am in need of an attorney and I am not sure what to look for exactly. I have a real mess on my hands. It has to do with international adoption … read more
I am a volunteer with a local dog rescue organization and
I am a volunteer with a local dog rescue organization and county shelter. I fostered a dog and decided to adopt the dog. No owner had contacted the shelter or rescue agency in almost 6 months. I am ve… read more
Attorney,
My fiance Heather lost custody of her son James about 3 years
My fiance Heather lost custody of her son James about 3 years ago. At the time her and I had a drug problem and she willingly gave James to foster care until we could figure things out. We have both b… read more
When my nephew was 3 months shy of his 3rd birthday I became
When my nephew was 3 months shy of his 3rd birthday I became his foster parent. This eventually went to legal guardianship then on to adoption. The problem is that my nephew is very disrespectful and … read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
Stop searching for answers—
If my 16.5 yo daughter is too defiant to live at home, can
If my 16.5 yo daughter is too defiant to live at home, can I have her placed in foster care? If so, who pays for voluntary foster care? And how much is it? At her age, can she drop out of school legal… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I will have had probate guardianship of my son for 2 years
I will have had probate guardianship of my son for 2 years in December. He has been with me for all but about 8 months of his life - he will be 5 years on August 13. What forms do I need to fill out f… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
We have a .26 (award of adoption) hearing on 16 Feb in Montery
We have a .26 (award of adoption) hearing on 16 Feb in Montery Park Family Court. This is the final phase in adoption of two minor children (brothers 10 & 6 years old) transferred to us (husband and w… read more
Meigs
Meigs
Attorney,
Hello, my name is Ewa. I have question regarding my son Patryk
Hello, my name isXXXXX have question regarding my son Patryk and grandson Kody. My son is living in Florida for 5 years now. He met the girl and now they have 3 years old son.(his birthday was on 01/1… read more
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq.
Managing Lawyer/Advocate,
My grandson is in foster care DCFS in California. My husband
My grandson is in foster care DCFS in California. My husband and I were turned down for placement due to a criminal charge in my husbands past (child stealing) was reduced and expunged. A 14 year old … read more
Counselor at Law,
We have sole managing conservatorship of 4 boys not related
We have sole managing conservatorship of 4 boys not related to us. The boys share the same mother but have different fathers & all parental rights have been terminated. We became their guardians my br… read more
Attorney,